Go to Homepage Skip to main menu Skip to main content Skip to page bottom

Louvencourt Commonwealth Military Cemetery

Back to map
Description: 

louvencourt
© Philippe Sergeant - Cd80

Louvencourt is located approximately 10 kilometres to the west of the former 1914-1916 battlefields. Until the British took over the sector in1915, the cemetery was used by the French Service de Santé des Armées. Most of the men buried here died in 1916 during the Battle of the Somme.

A permanent bi-national cemetery, bordered by a stone wall, was established here in 1921. It contains 227 graves of which 151 are Commonwealth and 76 are French. It was a prototype cemetery, the first attempt at creating a legacy of remembrance to the fallen, and was very influential to the architecture and guidelines of other Commonwealth military cemeteries. The French headstones, designed in an exceptional, rare shape, also attest to the consideration that was given to the architectural design of French cemeteries.

The grave of poet Roland Leighton is regularly adorned with violets in remembrance of his most famous poem Villanelle. His fiancé, Vera Brittain, paid tribute to Roland in her book Testament of Youth, published in 1933.

Memory place type: 
Aside bloc: 
Media: 
louvencourt
Location Lat/Long: 
POINT (2.50563 50.102603)