Australian Corps Headquarters
In 1918, the Chateau of Bertangles was the Australian Corps Headquarters. Manfred von Richtofen, otherwise known as the Red Baron, was shot down near Corbie and later buried with full military honours in the cemetery at Bertangles. He was later moved to the Fricourt German Military Cemetery before being repatriated to Germany in 1925.
On the 12 August 1918, George V visited the chateau to give General Sir John Monash, the commander of the Australian Corps, his knighthood.
The chateau is listed as a ‘Historic Monument’ and during a visit documents and photographs are made available to illustrate this chapter of history.
- July-August : open to individual visitors in the afternoon.
- All year : guided tours for groups of over 20 people by reservation.