The Memorial of Mametz and its red dragon (the emblem of Wales) was dedicated on 1 July 1987. It glares at Mametz wood taken by the 38rd Welsh Division on 12 July 1916.
Near the village, Mametz wood was a dangerous site of resistance but was taken by men of the Welsh Division on 12 July after 8 days of fierce combat with very heavy losses.
The red Welsh dragon has stood since 1987 with strands of barbed wire gripped in its claws as it glares at Mametz wood. It recalls the ferocity of the struggle to seize the wood and the 4000 men who died here.