- A1 (Paris-Lille)
- A16 (Paris-Calais)
- A26 (Calais-Reims)
- A28 (Abbeville-Rouen)
- A29 (Reims-Rouen)
You could arrive in Calais from Dover by ferry (around a 1 1/2 hour crossing) or from Folkestone via the Eurotunnel (around a 2hour journey)
- Don't forget to drive on the right. Roundabouts are anti-clockwise ; as in the UK, roads signs show major roads first with local roads following on a second sign.
- Signs for motorways(Autoroutes) are shown in blue, main roads(Nationales) in green.Secondary roads(Départementales) have numbers.
- Seat belts must be used if fitted, and no children under 10 may travel in the front seat.
- Drink-driving penalties are very severe.
- In town, you must give way to traffic coming from the right unless road markings show your priority.
- French motorways are toll roads, although some stretches are free
>Calais - Amiens :100miles - 1hour 40mins ; It will cost you the equivalent of around 10euros to use the A16 motorway
>Speed limits :
- built-up areas 50kph > 31mph
- major roads 90kph > 56 mph
- dual carriageways 110kph > 69 mph
- motorways 130kph > 81 mph (reducing to 110kph in poor conditions)
Eurostar from London (St Pancras International), Ashford (Kent) and Ebbsfleet (Kent) to Lille, Calais and Paris.The journey will take between 1 hour and 2 1/2 hours.
- Lines Paris - Lille or Paris-Calais
- Haute - Picardie high-speed train (TGV) station
>Calais - Amiens ; journey time 2 hrs ; price around 22euros
>Calais - Côte Picarde (Rue - Noyelles-sur-mer); journey time 1hr 40mins ; price around 14euros
>Calais - Abbeville ; journey time 1hr 40mins ; price around 18euros
Tickets can be booked on-line at www.voyages-sncf.com
- Roissy - Charles de Gaulle Airport
- Beauvais - Tillé Airport
- Albert - Picardie Airport
- Amiens - Glisy Airport
Cross to France by ferry
Various websites offer ferry bookings online :
You don't have to book ahead, but it's advisable - particularly at wekends or holyday periods.Booking ahead and/or on line may be cheaper. The Dover - Calais crossing takes around an hour and a half.